So, it’s a tough moment for all of us but, once again, your mother was right. Pay attention to your posture and you improve the hang of your clothes, your first impression and how your body feels. Standing tall and improving how you carry yourself can makes us look longer and slimmer in seconds as well as alleviating some bodily aches from bad habits.
Below is a side by side of poor poster v. healthy. Yes, I am uber pregnant but even with the baby belly you can see how different each stance reads and where your attention is drawn.
Here are easy tips for checking and improving your posture:
- Let go of the ideas of “sucking in” and “tucking under”. Instead, think of a string laced through your spine, gently tugging out the top of your head.
- Unlock your knees
- Shoulders down and back
- Do ten large shoulder rolls backward to help open up rounded shoulders from hours of computer work or driving
- Tall or large chested? There is no reason to apologize with your posture – both are lovely traits on women – we are not in junior high anymore.
- From the side: your ears, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles should create a straight vertical line
- Take a few deep breaths and a quick shake of the body to “reset” your posture through out the day.
- Wear a different piece of jewelry to remind yourself to implement your new good posture habit.