I have given this a lot of thought. What single gem will really make a difference in your 2012 resolution? My advice…
Whatever your health goal for 2012, the best suggestion I can give you is to enlist help in your endeavors. Maybe, the initial reaction is “Thanks, but I can do it on my own.” Forgive my direct reply but “Why haven’t you?” The truth is, healthy living is simple. Simple, not easy. We know what we should be doing and yet we don’t. The missing link is acknowledging that your goal is important and that you need help to get there. What do we do in other areas of our lives? We get quality help and our lives are better for it. You might trim your bangs on occasion but you probably don’t give yourself a full haircut. Below are a few examples to get your juices flowing.
- Limit my risks for heart disease/diabetes
- Finally lose 5/20/50 pounds
- Help my overweight husband/partner/children
- Feel as fit as I used to
- Have my body be my best fashion asset (even with Prada in the closet)
Decide your weakness:
- I’m scared to go to the doctor to find out my risks/blood work
- I’m tired of failing
- Nagging ends in no one being happy
- I’m too tired to work out
- I’m intimidated at the gym
- Have a friend or relative go with you to the doctor appointment with questions written down and notes taken during appointment(s)including follow up care
- Sign up for class or personal training with a very optimistic, positive leader with substantial success record
- Find family/couple activities that take you out of the driver seat (bowling, parent/tot/couple dance classes, open gym at park district, couples tennis lessons)
- list your activity and eating differences between then and now and sign up for help in those areas
- Sign up for shorter duration and ultra beginner activities to start
- Hire a trainer (I’m never intimidated at the gym and it rubs off on my clients)
1. Start working with in your new system. Remember, I said simple, not easy.
2. Evaluate. Is your help helping? If not, find another helper.
I wish you all the best in identifying your needs and accomplishing your goals. Need help with your help? I’m just a phone call or email away.Happy Happy New Year to you and yours!