Guess who is the Featured Trainer at The Trainers Gym? Get to know more about Michelle here:
Name: Michelle Blakely
Current city: Frankfort, IL
Favorite gym equipment: Barbells – too few women use them
Favorite food: Dark chocolate covered grahams
Favorite TV show: 30 Rock (Tina and Alec – geniuses in their own right)
1. How long have you been/how did you decide to become a Personal Trainer?
I have been training for 12 years. I danced professionally in Europe and North America after college. An injury left me looking for answers. Strength training was a huge component to my recovery (and although not the original intent – weight management.) As I healed and continued my research, the benefits of strength training extended beyond recovery and athleticism. Strength training offers a solution to weight management, metabolism struggles, healthier living, flexibility and stress reduction, as well as consistently creating a long, lean physique. I love all things efficient and proven. I have been hooked and helping others ever since.
2. What are your core beliefs when it comes to health and wellness?
- Be skeptical of hype and fads.
- Make change systematically and incrementally.
- Never underestimate your daily habits – they are powerful and life changing.
- Seek out reputable experts and quality data.
- When in doubt, participate in what is fun and joyful.
3. What is the most rewarding thing about being a Personal Trainer?
Client success. No doubt about it.
4. What kind of clients do you specialize in, if any?
Women only. Age 25 and better. Professionals and homemakers seeking efficient, ways to be be active, fit and lean.
5. Do you have any tips on ways to burn a few extra calories through the day?
Yes, get out of your chair. Seek excuses to move more. Pace every phone call. Walk a lap every hour. Never take the elevator. Meet for a walk instead of coffee. Park as far from the door as possible. Get off the train one stop early or late. Dance every time you hear music. (silliness might be required – well worth it.)
6. What is your favorite snack food (fruits, vegetables, snack bars, etc.)?
Currently, pureed vegetable soup. Perfect for really busy snack times, I don’t even have to chew. Microwave a cup in a coffee mug. Surprisingly tasty. GET THE RECIPE HERE.
7. What do you think is the most valuable benefit of working with a Personal Trainer?
We don’t know what we don’t know. An expert’s insights can make all the difference.